Buy an Autographed Copy of Powder Necklace

Monday, November 1, 2010

Thank You, African Women's Book Club of Boston!

When I think back on the sheer awesomeness of my lunch with the African Women's Book Club of Boston, my face hurts from smiling, and like the sap I am, my eyes well up.
These women welcomed me into their sister circle with the warmest bear hug. Many of them traveled from far flung suburbs of Boston, one came from Pennsylvania, and one made it with her gorgeous newborn to congregate with each other, and congratulate and indulge me as I rattled on about the book, and read a short passage.
But lest I think it was all about the book or me, one of the organizers pointed out, the food had a lot to do with the awesome turnout. :-)
Seated around the glossy wood tables of Teranga Senegalese Restaurant on Boston's South End, we each tucked into our respective plates of grilled tilapia, stewed lamb, ripe plantains, croquettes, and vinaigrette-drizzled salad as we discussed what it means to be African in America. (Barbados, Botswana, Belgium, China, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Georgia, Ghana, Haiti, Jamaica, Kenya, Malawi, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Nigeria, New York, Senegal, and Tanzania were in the house.) We recounted personal tales of being sent to an Africa we didn't know or leaving home in Africa for Europe and the States. We discussed parental expectations; traded business cards; talked babies, husbands, and dating; then cracked up about the bad hair weave Auntie Irene (one of the characters in the book) had.
It was effortless and it was excellent.
And yet I know a lot of effort went into the event. My friend, talented filmmaker Thato Mwosa suggested Powder Necklace as a read for her book club, organized the venue and event, and emceed. As I mentioned above, the members of the book club traveled from near and far to attend and support me, sharing three precious Saturday hours with me -- the day before Halloween, when many of them had activities planned for their kids. Also sharing with incredible generosity was my dear friend who hosted me in her home. Like the super-mom, wife and producer that she is, she added my agenda to her and her husband's packed itinerary, making sure I was picked up and dropped off exactly when I needed to be.
I have the most amazing friends -- and I just made new ones.

9 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure having you in Boston Nana. This was a truly special event

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an excellent time with you and your book! I forgive you for forgetting to mention that Kenya was in the house. We were two ladies from Kenya and not to mention that Thato is married to a Kenyan so she is Kenyan too. Lol.It was a honor having you at our Book Club! Mercy Kamau.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Mercy!
    Yes, congrats on your book again and it was pleasure meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a pleasure Nana... Aren't we just great? A girl can get used to getting all that love and show up as soon as book #2 comes along. And we would welcome her with open arms - Girl its the good food, yapping our mouths off - away from energetic off-springs and loving (but sometimes demanding) spouses. That's the oasis for our soul - I glad you enjoyed a drink from it.

    Til next time.

    Tione

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was certainly a special meeting. Having Nana in town, the camaraderie and laughter among the ladies, and that wonderful food made for a memorable afternoon. Thank you, Nana and Thato!-- Yasmine

    ReplyDelete
  6. FINALLY added Kenya!! HOW could I forget Kenya??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Nana, looking through your blog I see one of my best friends from Boston, Thato Mwosa. Small world! Do yo' thang!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Erickka! I met Thato through you! Back when you were on Yama Afrika.

    ReplyDelete