Buy an Autographed Copy of Powder Necklace

Friday, April 23, 2010

Did You Know You Could Walk Into a Bookstore & Autograph Books?!

No special signing or reading necessary.

My dear friend Sasha told me I could do this to make my books stand out more at the bookstore, and last weekend I tested it out!! I walked into the Columbus Circle Borders and announced myself as the author of Powder Necklace (suppressed a giggle) and asked the attendant at the Info Desk if I could sign 'em. He said, "yes!" I signed the 9 that were on display in the New Releases section (someone must've bought copy #10! :-) ) and watched as the attendant affixed "Autographed Copy" stickers on each one. I proceeded to head to the Borders across the street from Penn Station and did the same.

Neither attendant checked my ID which made me wonder if I could go into another store and autograph other books as Buchi Emecheta or Janet Fitch or Zadie Smith. Anyway, the wonderment ceased when I spotted a young man and woman who looked Ghanaian. I got focused and introduced myself and it turns out they were Ghanaian! I did an on-site sales pitch for the book. Shameless, I know, but it worked! They bought it and I signed it. Don't be surprised if you find me lurking in the New Releases section at a bookstore near you.

P.S. - I'll be reading and signing books on Saturday, May 1st at the Border Books in Glendale, Queens. Roll through!

2 comments:

  1. lol.... so that did work indeed yyyaaaayyyy! I'll look out for u in the bookstores :):) odi! Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL - well let me know when you want me to be the infamous Nana and I'll go and sign all of your DC copies - lol ... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete