Buy an Autographed Copy of Powder Necklace

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My First Out-of-State Trip for the Book!

I felt very author-ish this weekend, y'all. I did my first out-of-state trip for the book to the Afr'Am Festival in Norfolk, VA. I hadn't heard of this fest before but apparently it's been going on for 27 years. It's super-fun.

There were food trucks selling seafood, funnel cakes and smoothies; there was a bazaar of arts, crafts, and clothing tents; and there were two performance stages set up across Town Point Park. Less than 30 feet from the Literary Cafe tent where I spent the bulk of my time, Mario asked the screaming teens (and their moms) in the crowd if they wanted to "Braid [His] Hair". Fun.

The Literary Cafe was awesome. I got there on Saturday (5/22) just in time to listen to the panel on Self-Publishing. I like to think I'm driven, but these authors had me beat. Each one of them had not only written and independently published their books, but they had also worked to establish and negotiate individual relationships with booksellers across the country including Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Amazon to carry their books. Later that day there was a "Black Love Today" panel that featured erotica author Bridget Midway and other writers whose books deal with family and love. Conversation got real as talk turned to marriage stats for black women and definitions/expectations of "submission" in marriage. There were a lot of platitudes being shared so my favorite part was when moderator and Literary Cafe chair Tiffany Smith asked each panelist to share their current relationship status; definitely put their comments in perspective.

I spoke on the "Teens & What They Want" panel on Sunday which Tiffany moderated with her teenage daughter. Four teens joined me and author Jonathan Queen to share what kinds of books pique their interest and what makes them pick up a book in the first place. I took mental notes mostly -- the cover is mui important, the synopsis on the back of the book should leave them with questions about the story that they want answered, they're more apt to read a book recommended by a friend versus their parents or teachers -- and chimed in with what about Powder Necklace would appeal to the young adult audience.

I mentioned that it was important to me to add a story about the first-generation American experience, specifically the experience of children born to African immigrants, to the discourse. I saw the adults nodding in appreciation, but what really seemed to resonate with the teens in the tent was the theme of moving/being uprooted that's in my book. They all related to the awful feeling of leaving the familiarity of friends, school and neighborhood behind to be "the new kid" somewhere else.

Festival volunteer Fran Taylor wearing a kente stole embroidered with the words "Powder Necklace"

After my panel, there was the "Little People Doing BIG Things" panel which featured a team of brothers who had published 7 year old author Jayla Watts and fellow author 17 year old Bree Thomas who published her first book at 15 -- preceded by Tiffany Smith's youngest daughter's performance of Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise". They were so adorable.

In between panels, I got to meet several of the authors. Many of them had written several novels and they were all so encouraging and generous with their advice and info. I'm definitely looking forward to returning to Norfolk and next year's fest.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Nana . . .

    We haven't met (I'm also an author), but I wanted to congratulate you on your first out-of-state book signing . . . but also to mention, that you have a pic of my best friend, Fran Taylor, on your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Karen E. Quinones Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. fran was awesome! it was great to meet her and now you, karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen saying "I'm also an author" is like saying the moon is big :-) How are you?

    I had the pelasure of hearing Nana Read and sharing a meal with her and some friends last night. She is cool people and everyone is raving about her novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo!! (ok I am clearly overusing that expression) ...But Karen E. Quinones Miller is one of my favorite writers and people (Gemini like me) ...she taught me all I know about the art of publishing right in her living room in Philedelphia. Karen is a wonderful giving spirit ... I cannot wait for you guys to meet...Karen, Nana is quickly becoming one of my favorite people as well - I met her at Afr'Am fest and she actually came out to support my reading at Hue-Man Bookstore in Harlem (which is Karen's hometown)...wow such a small world and we are all literally (or is it literarily) connected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Troy - lol - I am actually just getting in from NYC - can you say traffic was crazy and we sat what could have been a parking lot for hours. I really should be sleep - lol. Great spending time with all of you yesterday and thanx again for coming out and why am I using Nana's blog as a chatroom ...sleep deprivation, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nana! Thank you SO MUCH for coming down for Afr'Am!! It was great meeting you and hearing of your work. Please stay connected so I can continue to support you and your work. . .and FRAN!! Thanks for supporting us as well! I had NO IDEA you and Karen were close friends. . .Karen, actually attended Afr'Am, my second year as chair and gave me great words of wisdom. I will always appreciate and respect her for that. Plus, Harlem Godfather was one of my favorite reads!

    ReplyDelete