Buy an Autographed Copy of Powder Necklace

Friday, May 18, 2012

Passion is Key!

by Donnice Peterson

Writing hasn’t always been my friend. All through high school, I HATED writing. However, when I entered my freshman year of college I realized I did enjoy writing--I just was not confident about my ability.
I made it my business to mold my craft of writing. I refused to let my insecurities thwart my chances of being the writer that I knew I had potential to be.  That is when I sought people who are professionals in the field of writing and who took the time to help me along my journey.
Through my short journey, one of the things I came to understand was that people don’t wake up being great writers. They continuously work at their craft; modifying their work to be better than the previous day.
I look at some of my favorite authors like Hill Harper and one thing I can truly identify is the passion he has for what he is doing. Each one of his books is based on topics he is passionate about. His book Letters to a Young Brother focuses on strengthening and building up young men. He believes imparting positive advice and inspiration into young men allows them to make the right decisions for a prosperous life. When you read his work you can feel what he felt when writing and how ardent he is about it. 

Passion is key for a successful writer. Hill Harper was able to get across how strongly he felt to his readers, one of the reasons I think his book is a bestseller. There has to be an undying fire that keeps the writer going, and it has to be transparent in their writing.
Hill Harper didn’t wake up and write a bestseller--he had to work at it. However, his passion is what kept him going.  Passion is what pushes the writer on those days where they think they cannot go any further. Passion is what makes not only the writer love their work but their readers as well.
As I grow and mature with my writing, I realize that I would not mind making a career out of it. Writing has become something I love and something that is a part of me. I live by the saying “if you can find something you love to do without getting paid, that is what you should make a career out of”.  This is what writing is to me and will continue to be.


[image courtesy of Flickr]

No comments:

Post a Comment